A baby stroller is a key piece of baby gear required to allow parents to easily transport and soothe their baby. A stroller is a “must have” item for parents for walks, shopping, daily chores, etc.
How to choose the best baby strollers?
There are six types of baby strollers, each designed for a special purpose. We don’t suggest you have six strollers, one for every purpose. However, it is useful to think about your stroller choices in terms of your specific needs, budget, and space constraints. You may find it useful to have more than one type.
- Standard/ Full-size strollers
- Compact/ Lightweight Strollers
- Jogging Stroller
- Modular Travel Systems
- Side-by-side double strollers.
- In-line front-and-back double strollers.
These everyday strollers are usually larger, sturdier and more durable than some other stroller types and come with many features. They are comfortable, the seat reclines, and often span infant through toddler years. However, full-size strollers tend to be relatively heavy compared with lightweight stroller types. They may be a little heavier for travel.
These type of strollers are designed for maximum portability. They are sometimes called umbrella strollers because they typically fold or collapse into easily transportable or storable form. These strollers are a great convenience for travel or a quick shopping trip. Most families we know wouldn’t be without this type of stroller.
Jogging strollers typically have 3 wheels (only 1 in front). Jogging strollers have a robust but lightweight frame. They often feature a front wheel which may optionally swivel or be lockable in position. It is important that the handles have sufficient length to allow a jogging stride.
These are made of component which can be interchanged and fill multiple purposes. Modular travel systems include a car seat which can be moved between a stroller frame and your vehicle without disturbing baby.
These are for 2 children (perhaps twins or siblings of different ages). They solve the problem of how to transport two children. They are usually bulky and difficult to maneuver. The width of a side-by-side double stroller can pose a problem with certain doorways or other narrow passages.
These are another approach for transporting two children at once. The front-and-back arrangement reduces the problem of stroller width in narrow openings. However, the front-and-back seating means these strollers are longer and somewhat more difficult to maneuver around corners or in tight spaces.
You will likely find that you need more than one type of stroller, but choosing judiciously can maximize the usefulness of your strollers and keep costs reasonable.
Here are our best baby strollers on the market:
1. Thule Urban Glide 2 Jogging Stroller – Best overall
- A lightweight, all-terrain stroller perfect for jogging or strolling through town
- Swivel front wheel locks into place for jogging
- Large 16" rear wheels plus suspension for an ultra smooth ride
2. Baby Trend Expedition Jogger Travel System – Best value
- Lockable front swivel wheel and Large 16-inch rear bicycle tires
- Removable bumper bar that Swings away, accepts Baby Trend Infant Car Seat
- 5-point safety harness with soft harness cove, Multi position reclining seat
3. Graco Modes Stroller includes Reversible Seat – Best Seller
- Accepts all Graco infant car seats (sold separately) with a secure one-step...
- 3 Strollers in 1 with 10 riding options from infant to toddler: 1. Infant Car Seat...
- Reversible stroller seat allows baby to face you or the world and the 4 position...
4. Evenflo Pivot Modular Travel System – Best modular travel system
- FLEXIBLE INFANT TRAVEL SYSTEM: The Evenflo Pivot Modular Travel System is a car seat...
- VERSATILE & LIGHTWEIGHT: This car seat and stroller combo features a modular frame...
- EASY INFANT CAR SEAT TRANSFER: This car seat and stroller combo has been designed...
5. Summer Infant 3D Lite Convenience Stroller – Best lightweight stroller
- LIGHTWEIGHT – A lightweight stroller makes any outing a little easier. The Summer...
- FOR TRAVEL AND EVERYDAY – Whether you’re traveling or just on the go running...
- 4-POSITION RECLINE – Keep your little one comfortable and safe at all times with...
6. gb Pockit Lightweight Stroller – smallest stroller when folded
7. Graco DuoGlider Double Stroller with Tandem Seating – Best tandem strollers
8. Joovy Scooter X2 Double Stroller – Best side-by-side double strollers
- 30" width-fits through standard doors, accommodates (2) 45 pound children (90 pounds...
- Recline each seat and adjust each footrest independently of each other.The fabric...
- 1-hand fold, huge basket and canopy, removable bumper bar. Flame retardant and...
Baby Stroller Buying Guide
Your choice of a baby stroller (or baby strollers) is one of the most important choices you will make to help transport your baby and to make your life easier. Based on our personal experience, it is useful to understand your requirements before shopping. Start by answering the following questions for yourself:
- What is the purpose of the stroller? For example, is it for everyday use or for travel?
- What features will be best for your baby? For example, a recline seat? A child tray?
- What the features that will benefit you most? For example, easy maneuverability?
- What will provide the best solution within you budget? For example, do you want a stroller for everyday jogging, and a modular travel system?
Key things to consider when making your choice for a baby stroller
- What is the primary purpose/use for your new stroller?
- Everyday around town.
- Specifically to travel.
- Jogging with your child.
- Is the stroller for 1 child or two.
- Do you want a car seat integrated with your stroller?
- Where are you going to use it?
- If you live in a city where it’s crowded on the street, you want a compact, lightweight & easy to maneuver stroller.
- If you live in a rugged terrain, consider larger, all-terrain wheels.
- Does it need to fold compactly?
- Where are you going to store it?
- Do you have space available in your home to store a everyday use stroller and a modular travel system?
- Age and weight of your child or children
- An Iinfant or a toddler
- An infant and a toddler
- Consider a robust stroller frame.
- Wheel quality and size (larger wheel for more uneven or unpaved terrain)?
- Are the handles long enough for your height and stride?
- Construction and sturdy material.
- Frequency of use.
- Do you use this stroller daily?
- Is this twice a year traveling to your in-laws?
- Do you travel by car or airplane?
- Car seat and other modular components compatibility.
- Easy to maneuver.
- Do you frequently need to maneuver in tight spaces (hallways, elevators, etc.)?
- Ability to choose forward-facing or rear-facing in the car.
- Ease of attaching to your car seat and to the stroller frame.
- Look for a five-point harness in the chair that is easy to adjust to your child and will keep your child securely fastened as they grow.
- Stability of stroller in the environment where you will use the stroller.
- Material and construction of the seat
- Does the seat recline?
- Does the seat convert to a bassinet?
- Sun protection.
- Adequate covered space.
- Easy to position and adjust.
- Space for baby supplies like diaper bags, extra clothes, bottles.
- Space for your stuff, like shopping bags, etc.
- Ability to transition from a stroller to an infant car seat carrier.
- Multiple positions for your child (forward facing, backward facing, reclining, sleeping).
- Ability to transition from an infant stroller to a toddler stroller as your child grows.
- Easy to use.
- Locking front swivel wheels and one-hand standing fold.
- Ease of attachment and removal to the car seat base in your car or stroller frame.
- Modular travel system
- Offers a stroller and car seat in one convenient package.
- Lightweight and folds up easily to a compact configuration.
- Sturdy frame.
- Do you need a double stroller?
- Side-by-side or in-line (see discussion on maneuverability above).
- For parents with two young children, even if there’s a gap in the children’s ages.
- Does each child seat have a tray for food and drink and has sun protection?
- Jogging stroller
- One stroller or two (or three)? You may find it convenient to own multiple types of strollers.
- Modular travel system.
- Light-weight, easy folding stroller for travel.
- Jogging stroller.
- No one stroller will fit all requirements.
- You needn’t spend a fortune to get a great stroller.
- Consider your requirements. Understand the purpose of each type of strollers.
- Do your research. Check out reviews, then choose and get what you want.
Turns accurately and precisely with minimal effort.
Locking swivel on front wheel.
Adjustable handlebar and harness to accommodate your stride while you run.
Recap of the best baby strollers for your needs
Best overall baby stroller:
The Thule Urban Glide 2 Jogging Stroller (View on Amazon) is our best overall baby stroller. Yes, it is an expensive stroller with top-of-the-line accolade to go with it. It is worth every penny for parents (like us) who include jogging in our daily life style. It also provides utmost comfort to our baby while we are running.
Best value baby stroller:
Baby Trend Expedition Jogger Travel System (View on Amazon)
is our best-seller in baby travel stroller. Talking about values,this is a is lightweight jogging stroller and a car seat. It has bicycle-style tires and it maneuvers pretty well on paved roads.
The bottom basket offers good storage space. It is good as a jogging stroller or a standard everyday use transportation.
Best seller standard baby stroller:
This Graco Modes Stroller, Includes Reversible Seat (View on Amazon) is our best-seller in standard everyday baby stroller. It can easily be transitioned to an infant car seat carrier. The stroller seat itself can either be rear-facing or forward-facing. It can be configured to a toddler stroller as your child grows. It supports maximum weight of 50 lbs. The stroller can be folded up using only one hand for easy storage and transport.
Best modular travel system:
This Evenflo Pivot Modular Travel System (View on Amazon) is our best-seller in modular travel system. It offers a stroller and car seat in one convenient package. It is lightweight and folds up easily to a compact configuration, making it an excellent choice for traveling families. It has an oversized basket, cup holders, and a food tray to store your supplies for the day.
Best lightweight stroller:
This Summer Infant 3D Lite Convenience Stroller (View on Amazon) is our best seller in lightweight stroller. This affordable strollers have a fully-reclined seat. The wheels are sturdy and offer very smooth ride. The seat is nicely padded – comfortable for your child. It has ergonomically designed handles – a great feature for parents. It has a large canopy to protect child from the sun.
Best tandem strollers:
This Graco DuoGlider Double Stroller with Tandem Seating (View on Amazon) is our best seller in tandem baby stroller. This is a fantastic double stroller for parents with two children, even if there’s a age gap in the children’s ages. Both seats recline and are compatible with Graco Click Connect car seats. For a double stroller, the DuoGlider is notably lightweight. It glides smoothly across the pavement with the help of the added suspension on the front wheels. It offers a generously sized storage compartment.
Best side-by-side strollers:
This Joovy Scooter X2 Double Stroller (View on Amazon) is our best seller in side-by-side baby stroller. At a total width of 30″ it fits through standard doorways nicely. It has sealed ball bearings installed in the wheels which give you easy maneuverability. The seats are quite roomy and rated for children up to 45 pounds each. The leg rests have adjustable heights. The storage basket at the bottom of the stroller provides spacious storage.
There is no one baby stroller best for all. It depends on your life style, your requirements, features you need and your budget. We hope our featured list will help you to find the one best for you, your baby and the person who operates the stroller.